MITRE/ATARC Big Data White PaperBig Data Collaboration Symposium, December 5, 2017
Big Data Challenge Areas
- Emerging Technologies in Big Data & Analytics
- Big Data & Security Technologies
- Big Data Landscape
- Leveraging Big Data for Mission Success
- Big Data and Health Care
Key Recommendations to Government
- Agencies need to avoid developing biased analytics and models by proper sampling of the data.
- Senior executives need to understand the balance between the requirements and the value in data sharing versus the risk associated with exposing sensitive information.
- The availability of data is no longer the sole issue in Big Data. The current and future challenges lie in establishing a strategic approach, implementing the right infrastructure and tools for the mission, and demonstrating success in solving real-world mission problems.
- Leadership is key. Organizations need to identify a champion who is knowledgeable of the organization and the mission, has a vision for how the analysis results will benefit the organization, is highly motivated, and is able to provide the resources needed to implement and perform the analysis.
- Organizations need to take concrete steps to realize the benefits of shared data and analytics by taking the long-term view of solutions (125+ years), implementing Chief “X” Officer roles, taking a holistic and application-agnostic approach to data, and by adopting and using new emerging technologies.